Charities, Philanthropy & Non-Profit
“Excellent technical knowledge and able to provide innovative solutions. Practical and always helpful”
Legal 500 2021
There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to philanthropy. Some clients have been philanthropists for all their lives; others may have reached a point where they wonder how their wealth can really make a difference to the world in which they live.
This is a thought that often arises following a significant event such as the sale of a business or the receipt of a substantial inheritance. If the needs of their family and their future have been met, they may then turn to their charitable interests.
The reasons for setting up a charity, not-for-profit organisation or foundation vary widely, however some clients want to enshrine a culture of philanthropy as a value of their family for the long term; others might just enjoy the feeling of giving back to society; and some may want to control how their wealth is spent after death. While the motivations for giving may be simple, getting it right can be more complex.
Advice for philanthropists and charities can encompass anything from setting up charitable trusts to benefit a number of charities, leaving a legacy to a general, grant-giving favourite charity in a will, including a charity as a beneficial class under a trust or creating a specific charity to fulfil a specific aim.
Charities and not for profit
Charities support multiple causes and come in all guises. We advise numerous charities, ranging from academic institutions to pioneering new medical support facilities, advising them on everything from the initial set up and registration with the Charities Commission to, governance and disputes.
How we help
- Creating charities – We regularly advise on establishing and registering grant-making foundations and operating charities
- Governance – We ensure that governance of the charity is effective and that day-to-day issues can be resolved practically and quickly
- Tax efficient giving – We advise on all aspects of tax efficient giving including the establishment and running of private family charities
- Corporate giving – We advise our business clients (including family offices) on how best to achieve their charitable and corporate social responsibility aims
- Charity disputes – We advise legacy officers on disputes which may arise over bequests to their organisations and individuals on resolving issues involving charities. We do so cost efficiently and sensitively
“A known name for its work with charities and individuals in their philanthropic pursuits”
Legal 500 2020
“They are very good at looking at the bigger picture”
Chambers HNW 2018
The number of high net worth individuals (HNWIs) gifting over £1 million to charities upon their death is increased by…Read more 18 min read 04 Jan 2021 The GDPR for English law trusts and estates
We live in an increasingly regulated world and data protection is an area of more extensive compliance since the introduction of the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation in May 2018.Read more 4 min read 18 Dec 2020 What can be done where trustees or personal representatives have made a mistake?
In a recent STEP article Private Wealth Partner, Mark Lindley outlines what can be done when a trustee or personal representative makes a mistake and the possible legal remedies.Read more 5 min read 24 Nov 2020 CGT Review
In July, the Chancellor commissioned the Office of Tax Simplification (OTS) to carry out a review of Capital Gains Tax.Read more