Charities, Philanthropy & Non-Profit
“Excellent technical knowledge and able to provide innovative solutions. Practical and always helpful”
Legal 500 2021
There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to philanthropy. Some clients have been philanthropists for all their lives; others may have reached a point where they wonder how their wealth can really make a difference to the world in which they live.
This is a thought that often arises following a significant event such as the sale of a business or the receipt of a substantial inheritance. If the needs of their family and their future have been met, they may then turn to their charitable interests.
The reasons for setting up a charity, not-for-profit organisation or foundation vary widely, however some clients want to enshrine a culture of philanthropy as a value of their family for the long term; others might just enjoy the feeling of giving back to society; and some may want to control how their wealth is spent after death. While the motivations for giving may be simple, getting it right can be more complex.
Advice for philanthropists and charities can encompass anything from setting up charitable trusts to benefit a number of charities, leaving a legacy to a general, grant-giving favourite charity in a will, including a charity as a beneficial class under a trust or creating a specific charity to fulfil a specific aim.
Charities and not for profit
Charities support multiple causes and come in all guises. We advise numerous charities, ranging from academic institutions to pioneering new medical support facilities, advising them on everything from the initial set up and registration with the Charities Commission to, governance and disputes.
How we help
- Creating charities – We regularly advise on establishing and registering grant-making foundations and operating charities
- Governance – We ensure that governance of the charity is effective and that day-to-day issues can be resolved practically and quickly
- Tax efficient giving – We advise on all aspects of tax efficient giving including the establishment and running of private family charities
- Corporate giving – We advise our business clients (including family offices) on how best to achieve their charitable and corporate social responsibility aims
- Charity disputes – We advise legacy officers on disputes which may arise over bequests to their organisations and individuals on resolving issues involving charities. We do so cost efficiently and sensitively
“A known name for its work with charities and individuals in their philanthropic pursuits”
Legal 500 2020
“They are very good at looking at the bigger picture”
Chambers HNW 2018
The number of high net worth individuals (HNWIs) gifting over £1 million to charities upon their death is increased by…Read more 4 min read 04 May 2021 Value of private equity deals by HNWs jumps six-fold, from £132m to £958m during the pandemic
Private Wealth Partner, Kyra Motely reflects on how depressed valuations at the start of the COVID crisis have proved to be a once in decade opportunity for HNW investors.Read more 5 min read 04 May 2021 An Untapped Market for Women Supporting Women
The growth in Middle-Eastern multi-generational female wealth and the opportunities this presents for female legal advisors.Read more 2 min read 29 Apr 2021 Clare Pooley promoted to Senior Associate in Private Client practice
Further investment and expansion in the firm’s Private Client & Tax practice.Read more