Charities, Philanthropy & Non-Profit
“Excellent technical knowledge and able to provide innovative solutions. Practical and always helpful”
Legal 500 2021
There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to philanthropy. Some clients have been philanthropists for all their lives; others may have reached a point where they wonder how their wealth can really make a difference to the world in which they live.
This is a thought that often arises following a significant event such as the sale of a business or the receipt of a substantial inheritance. If the needs of their family and their future have been met, they may then turn to their charitable interests.
The reasons for setting up a charity, not-for-profit organisation or foundation vary widely, however some clients want to enshrine a culture of philanthropy as a value of their family for the long term; others might just enjoy the feeling of giving back to society; and some may want to control how their wealth is spent after death. While the motivations for giving may be simple, getting it right can be more complex.
Advice for philanthropists and charities can encompass anything from setting up charitable trusts to benefit a number of charities, leaving a legacy to a general, grant-giving favourite charity in a will, including a charity as a beneficial class under a trust or creating a specific charity to fulfil a specific aim.
Charities and not for profit
Charities support multiple causes and come in all guises. We advise numerous charities, ranging from academic institutions to pioneering new medical support facilities, advising them on everything from the initial set up and registration with the Charities Commission to, governance and disputes.
How we help
- Creating charities – We regularly advise on establishing and registering grant-making foundations and operating charities
- Governance – We ensure that governance of the charity is effective and that day-to-day issues can be resolved practically and quickly
- Tax efficient giving – We advise on all aspects of tax efficient giving including the establishment and running of private family charities
- Corporate giving – We advise our business clients (including family offices) on how best to achieve their charitable and corporate social responsibility aims
- Charity disputes – We advise legacy officers on disputes which may arise over bequests to their organisations and individuals on resolving issues involving charities. We do so cost efficiently and sensitively
“A known name for its work with charities and individuals in their philanthropic pursuits”
Legal 500 2020
“They are very good at looking at the bigger picture”
Chambers HNW 2018
The number of high net worth individuals (HNWIs) gifting over £1 million to charities upon their death is increased by…Read more 8 min read 15 Apr 2021 Natasha Hassall: A good reputation can attract investment, tenants and support for larger environmental projects
In a recent article in Transmission Private, Private Wealth Partner, Natasha Hassall talks about the challenges and opportunities landowners face when commercialising their landed estate.Read more 3 min read 29 Mar 2021 Tax day 2021: the key announcements
In a recent article in the Tax Journal, Private Wealth Partner, Sue Laing highlights some key takeaways from the recent tax updates.Read more 3 min read 26 Mar 2021 Family Business: The third pillar of the UK economy
The Family Business report looks in greater depth at Britain’s Top 100 family businesses, looking at who they are, and how they are built. We reflect on how Britain can ensure these entities remain strong contributors to economic growth as we look ahead, following the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.Read more