International Wealth Planning
“What I appreciate is that they have a lot of knowledge and a true understanding of cross-border issues”
Chambers HNW 2021
We act for many internationally mobile individuals who have assets in multiple jurisdictions. We are highly experienced in setting up effective international structures to hold those assets.
We advise on the creation, administration and termination of offshore trusts including the selection of an appropriate jurisdiction. We address the possibilities for the protection of assets internationally from both political risk and confiscation. We help clients on issues of domicile and residence, acquisition and disposal of UK residential and commercial property and we are highly experienced in establishing family offices to help manage large families and families with substantial wealth.
We are highly reputed for the international work that we undertake from our offices in London. We have a team who advise on the complexities of US / UK estate planning, a market-leading Middle East advisory team with expertise in Sharia law and in-depth knowledge of offshore territories and the key European and global financial centres.
How we help
- Estate planning – We organise will and estate planning strategies for multi-jurisdictional estates and families
- Financial structuring – We have a wealth of experience in the structuring of tax-efficient acquisition, retention and sale of real estate, portfolio investments and trading or investment businesses
- Offshore structures – We manage the creation, administration and use of offshore trusts, companies, partnerships, foundations and other appropriate entities
- Tax advice – We provide domicile and residence advice to clients coming to, living in, or leaving the UK
- Pre and post nuptial agreements – We advise on all aspects of this increasingly common means of protecting inherited, pre-marital, family business or trust assets in the event of divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership
- Working with other jurisdictions – We always coordinate our advice with that received in other jurisdictions where our clients have a connection, and can advise on associated conflicts of law and private international law issues. We have a strong network of professionals around the world and are renowned for working closely with our clients’ international teams of advisers.
“We like working with them as they handle incredibly complex matters incredibly well”
Chambers HNW 2021
“The individuals are very forward-looking; they are excellent”
Chambers Global 2020
Renowned private client partner Clare Stirzaker will be joining Boodle Hatfield from PWC where she led the private client legal team.Read more 4 min read 20 Dec 2021 UK’s female entrepreneurs book £6.4bn in profits from selling their businesses
In CityAM, Private Wealth Partner, Kyra Motley highlights how female business owners make up an increasingly important part of the British economy and how new figures show that the value of the businesses that they are founding is growing dramatically.Read more 4 min read 13 Dec 2021 Simpler IHT reporting for some estates
Senior Associate, Emma Haley and Associate, Jenny Wilson-Smith reflect on amended excepted estates IHT reporting, highlighting how the conditions for certain categories will be affected by the changes that will take place from 1 January 2022.Read more 8 min read 13 Dec 2021 Autumn ‘Tax Day’
Following the “Tax Administration and Maintenance Day” that took place on 30 November, HM Treasury released various consultations, responses and a range of policy announcements and updates aimed at modernising the tax system. Sara Maccallum, Emma Haley and Jenny Wilson-Smith highlight three items of interest.Read more