International Wealth Planning
“What I appreciate is that they have a lot of knowledge and a true understanding of cross-border issues”
Chambers HNW 2021
We act for many internationally mobile individuals who have assets in multiple jurisdictions. We are highly experienced in setting up effective international structures to hold those assets.
We advise on the creation, administration and termination of offshore trusts including the selection of an appropriate jurisdiction. We help clients on issues of domicile and residence, acquisition and disposal of UK residential and commercial property and we are highly experienced in establishing family offices to help manage large families and families with substantial wealth.
How we help
- Estate planning – We organise will and estate planning strategies for multi-jurisdictional estates and families
- Financial structuring – We have a wealth of experience in the structuring of tax-efficient acquisition, retention and sale of real estate, portfolio investments and trading or investment businesses
- Offshore structures – We manage the creation, administration and use of offshore trusts, companies, partnerships, foundations and other appropriate entities
- Tax advice – We provide domicile and residence advice to clients coming to, living in, or leaving the UK
- Pre and post nuptial agreements – We advise on all aspects of this increasingly common means of preserving inherited, pre-marital, family business or trust assets in the event of divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership
- Working with other jurisdictions – We always coordinate our advice with that received in other jurisdictions where our clients have a connection, and can advise on associated conflicts of law and private international law issues. We have a strong network of professionals around the world and are renowned for working closely with our clients’ international teams of advisers.
“Boodle Hatfield is absolutely first rate in the private client practice in general, with deep experience and expertise in complex, multi-jurisdictional planning and litigation”
Legal 500 2023
“We like working with them as they handle incredibly complex matters incredibly well”
Chambers HNW 2021
Immigration barrister, Zoe Jacob has joined Boodle Hatfield from Farrer & Co. Her appointment as a Partner establishes a new immigration practice for the firm, further bolstering its stellar Private Wealth and Corporate offering.Read more 8 min read 20 Jan 2023 Treasure Finds: as metal detecting booms, what are the key considerations and tax consequences?
As the boom in metal detecting continues and an abundance of treasure being unearthed in England and Wales, Corporate Associate, Fred Clark and Trainee, Sophie Harcourt consider the legal and tax implications, along with restrictions that might apply to a find.Read more 6 min read 19 Jan 2023 What can we learn from Yvon Chouinard?
The founder of Patagonia, the outdoor clothing company, created a philanthropic shareholding structure while maintaining ongoing stewardship of its assets – Clare Stirzaker and Clare Pooley look at how other philanthropists could achieve a similar legacy.Read more 5 min read 19 Jan 2023 The great wealth transfer: Reshaping what clients need from the wealth management industry
The priorities of families – who have been working to steward a legacy from one generation to the next – are changing, Private Wealth Partner, Clare Stirzaker explains all.Read more