International Wealth Planning
“What I appreciate is that they have a lot of knowledge and a true understanding of cross-border issues”
Chambers HNW 2021
We act for many internationally mobile individuals who have assets in multiple jurisdictions. We are highly experienced in setting up effective international structures to hold those assets.
We advise on the creation, administration and termination of offshore trusts including the selection of an appropriate jurisdiction. We address the possibilities for the protection of assets internationally from both political risk and confiscation. We help clients on issues of domicile and residence, acquisition and disposal of UK residential and commercial property and we are highly experienced in establishing family offices to help manage large families and families with substantial wealth.
We are highly reputed for the international work that we undertake from our offices in London. We have a team who advise on the complexities of US / UK estate planning, a market-leading Middle East advisory team with expertise in Sharia law and in-depth knowledge of offshore territories and the key European and global financial centres.
How we help
- Estate planning – We organise will and estate planning strategies for multi-jurisdictional estates and families
- Financial structuring – We have a wealth of experience in the structuring of tax-efficient acquisition, retention and sale of real estate, portfolio investments and trading or investment businesses
- Offshore structures – We manage the creation, administration and use of offshore trusts, companies, partnerships, foundations and other appropriate entities
- Tax advice – We provide domicile and residence advice to clients coming to, living in, or leaving the UK
- Pre and post nuptial agreements – We advise on all aspects of this increasingly common means of protecting inherited, pre-marital, family business or trust assets in the event of divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership
- Working with other jurisdictions – We always coordinate our advice with that received in other jurisdictions where our clients have a connection, and can advise on associated conflicts of law and private international law issues. We have a strong network of professionals around the world and are renowned for working closely with our clients’ international teams of advisers.
“We like working with them as they handle incredibly complex matters incredibly well”
Chambers HNW 2021
“The individuals are very forward-looking; they are excellent”
Chambers Global 2020
Private Client Partner, Hayden Bailey, comments on rise in the number of stately homes in the UK which has hit a record high.Read more 2 min read 04 Oct 2021 Where there’s a will and a couple of marriages, things get complicated
Private Wealth Dispute Partner, Mark Lindley comments on the importance of legal guidance in The Sunday Times as ‘blended families’ are on the rise, so are inheritance rows and while the stereotype may be archaic, valid complications remain.Read more 3 min read 27 Sep 2021 Inheritance disputes reach record high in past year as Covid drives claims
Associate, James Woods-Davison reflects on research showing how the number of inheritance disputes heard in the High Court reached an all-time high last year.Read more 2 min read 24 Sep 2021 Boodle Hatfield wins prestigious STEP Private Client Award 2021
We are delighted to announce that Boodle Hatfield has been awarded Private Client Legal Team of the Year (midsize firm) at the annual Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Awards 2021.Read more