UK Wealth Planning
“The firm is very client-focused and is always ready for any query, at any time. The firm is a true one-stop shop for my clients”
Chambers HNW 2022
Our UK wealth team works with our clients to identify specific goals and aspirations for their wealth and their succession planning. We take care to ensure the right plan is in place for each individual.
The advice might include the effective use of making lifetime gifts or gifts by Will, or by using trusts, companies or LLPs. We also assist with implementing the client’s charitable initiatives. We advise on all relevant taxes and tax reliefs and exemptions.
Our clients include wealthy UK individuals and families, entrepreneurs, business owners, landowners and estates, investors, philanthropists, trustees, family offices and art collectors.
How we help
- Estate planning and succession – We organise will and estate planning for families and individuals, with a key focus on the long-term wealth preservation. We advise on all aspects of Wills, LPAs and trusts, having long-standing expertise in dealing with complex trusts. We have in-depth experience of alternative structures such as Family Investment Companies and other corporate group structures. We advise Private Equity executives on their partnership interests
- Family Governance – Many of our clients own businesses. Creating a clear blueprint for the successful succession and future governance of the business forms a key part of our advice. We are well versed in advising on the most appropriate structures and draft Family Charters and Shareholders Agreements to ensure the business remains in the family ownership and that robust decision-making protocols are established. Good communication ensures that the critical discussions take place at the right time
- Pre and post nuptial agreements – The possibility of the divorce of an individual or a key family member presents an ongoing risk to wealth preservation. We advise on protecting inherited, pre-marital, family business or trust assets in the event of divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership, through pre and post nuptial agreements
- Financial structuring – We have a wealth of experience in the structuring of tax-efficient acquisition, retention and sale of real estate, portfolio investments and trading or investment businesses
- Offshore structures – UK clients often wish to include offshore structures in their plans. We manage the creation, administration and use of offshore trusts, companies, partnerships, foundations and other entities
Our hallmark is that we are practical and solutions based. We listen and then advise. Our lawyers are technically excellent, coupled with a pragmatic approach and a passion for finding a workable solution for everyone. We are known for our teamwork – both within the firm and with the clients’ other professional teams.
“They are interested in working with other advisers collaboratively to get the best result for a client”
Chambers HNW 2021
“They are a great place to go for a focus on onshore work”
Chambers HNW 2019
Boodle Hatfield, the leading private wealth and real estate law firm, has revealed a new equal opportunity parental leave policy. The new policy is available to all employees and Partners across the firm and is believed to be a market first for an independent London law firm.Read more 3 min read 20 Feb 2024 Boodle Hatfield successfully succeeds on three grounds in a will validity claim
Partner, Nicola Bushby and Associate, Katherine Reed have secured a significant High Court victory in relation to the validity of a will, succeeding on three grounds.Read more 10 min read 16 Feb 2024 A tale of two tests
In the STEP Journal, Partner, Nicola Bushby and Associate, Katherine Reed describe the tension between the Banks v Goodfellow and MCA 2005 tests when dealing with testamentary capacity cases and highlight that the only rational course is for the law to adopt one single test.Read more 4 min read 16 Feb 2024 The Lessons in Legacy Podcast, Philanthropy Edition, In Conversation with Jake Hayman
In the fifth and final episode of ‘The Philanthropy Edition’ Alberto Lidji and Clare Stirzaker are joined by Jake Hayman, a serial entrepreneur and experienced social sector consultant. Jake has been working with some of the most progressive wealth holders for the last 20 years and is currently writing a book on the topic. Together Alberto, Jake and Clare look at everything from taxes to misunderstandings around philanthropy and how wealth can be managed in a more equitable and just wayRead more