UK Wealth Planning
“The advice they are giving is imaginative, but balanced and well considered”
Chambers HNW 2019
Our UK wealth team works with our clients to identify specific goals and aspirations for their wealth and their succession planning. We take care to ensure the right plan is in place for each individual.
The advice might include the effective use of making lifetime gifts or gifts by Will, or by using trusts, companies or LLPs. We also assist with implementing the client’s charitable initiatives. We advise on all relevant taxes and tax reliefs and exemptions.
Our clients include wealthy UK individuals and families, entrepreneurs, business owners, landowners and estates, investors, philanthropists, trustees, family offices and art collectors.
How we help
- Estate planning and succession – We organise will and estate planning for families and individuals, with a key focus on the long-term wealth preservation. We advise on all aspects of Wills, LPAs and trusts, having long-standing expertise in dealing with complex trusts. We have in-depth experience of alternative structures such as Family Investment Companies and other corporate group structures. We advise Private Equity executives on their partnership interests
- Family Governance – Many of our clients own businesses. Creating a clear blueprint for the successful succession and future governance of the business forms a key part of our advice. We are well versed in advising on the most appropriate structures and draft Family Charters and Shareholders Agreements to ensure the business remains in the family ownership and that robust decision-making protocols are established. Good communication ensures that the critical discussions take place at the right time
- Pre and post nuptial agreements – The possibility of the divorce of an individual or a key family member presents an ongoing risk to wealth preservation. We advise on protecting inherited, pre-marital, family business or trust assets in the event of divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership, through pre and post nuptial agreements
- Financial structuring – We have a wealth of experience in the structuring of tax-efficient acquisition, retention and sale of real estate, portfolio investments and trading or investment businesses
- Offshore structures – UK clients often wish to include offshore structures in their plans. We manage the creation, administration and use of offshore trusts, companies, partnerships, foundations and other entities
Our hallmark is that we are practical and solutions based. We listen and then advise. Our lawyers are technically excellent, coupled with a pragmatic approach and a passion for finding a workable solution for everyone. We are known for our teamwork – both within the firm and with the clients’ other professional teams.
“Their strength is their real understanding of trusts and families”
Chambers HNW 2018
“They are a great place to go for a focus on onshore work”
Chambers HNW 2019
All parents and guardians want to make sure they’re putting the best systems in place to support their children.Read more 8 min read 15 Apr 2021 Natasha Hassall: A good reputation can attract investment, tenants and support for larger environmental projects
In a recent article in Transmission Private, Private Wealth Partner, Natasha Hassall talks about the challenges and opportunities landowners face when commercialising their landed estate.Read more 3 min read 29 Mar 2021 Tax day 2021: the key announcements
In a recent article in the Tax Journal, Private Wealth Partner, Sue Laing highlights some key takeaways from the recent tax updates.Read more 3 min read 26 Mar 2021 Family Business: The third pillar of the UK economy
The Family Business report looks in greater depth at Britain’s Top 100 family businesses, looking at who they are, and how they are built. We reflect on how Britain can ensure these entities remain strong contributors to economic growth as we look ahead, following the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.Read more