Corporate Social Responsibility
At Boodle Hatfield we understand the value of community, the importance of the environment and the significance of working and living in a diverse world. We aim to make a difference:
- By running a responsible business with consideration for the wellbeing of our staff, our clients and the wider community
- Adopting environmentally friendly working practices
- By working with local organisations to support our neighbours and improve our area
- Raising money for selected charitable causes chosen by our staff
We have a strong commitment to our local community in Southwark. We play an energetic role in the Better Bankside BID and are active members of their Business, Sustainable Travel and CSR committees. This means that we contribute to wide-ranging initiatives from providing gifts for local residents through the ‘ Together at Christmas’ campaign to helping to identify safe walking and travelling routes around Southwark, and organising fund-raising treasure hunts for the local businesses.
Many of our staff have participated in reading schemes with local schools in Mayfair and Southwark, reading with children who often don’t have English as a first language.
We are committed to raising awareness of careers in a law firm, whether as a solicitor or other business services professional. Each summer we run workshops with local secondary schools and volunteers from the firm participate in the annual Southwark Employability Fair.
Each year, within the firm, we select a Charity Partner to be the recipient of our fund raising activities. This year we are supporting The Felix Project, a food redistribution charity in London fighting food waste and hunger.
In previous years, we have supported Redthread, The Rainbow Trust, Mind, Youth at Risk, Macmillan Cancer Support, The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity and Dementia UK, amongst others.
Our fundraising competitions range from the fiercely contested ‘Boodle’s got Talent’, ‘Strictly come Dancing’ and ‘Boodle Baker’ competitions to competitive and fun quiz nights in the office. More adventurous people have taken part in a sponsored sky dive, successfully jumping from 12,000 feet; abseiled down the ArcelorMittal Orbit in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park; and completed the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge in horrendous weather. Whatever the challenge, fun is usually had by all, at the same time as raising considerable sums for some very worthwhile causes.
We are conscious of our carbon footprint and the need to act in an environmentally responsible manner. Our main office is in an EPC (B) rated building and we are actively involved with the management to support and develop environmentally friendly policies within the building.
We work closely with a number of clients on improving their own sustainability credentials including the introduction of green leases.
As part of our drive towards carbon neutral working we are committed to a programme of continuous improvement which includes these initiatives:
- Minimising paper consumption and waste with the long-term goal of achieving a ‘paperless office’
- Recycling of all waste paper, printer cartridges and organic materials and reusing packaging
- Working with suppliers that are committed to recycling and the efficient use of resources
- The firm’s cycle to work scheme, which includes provision of dedicated bike storage spaces, and is designed to assist employees in reducing the carbon footprint of their daily commute.