“Superb breadth of experience; always a pleasure to work with. Peerless in their field”
Legal 500 2021
Our highly experienced disputes lawyers have an absolute focus on resolving disputes and mitigating risk in the best way for each of our clients.
By getting to the heart of matters as quickly as possible and understanding our clients’ objectives, we are able to achieve the best possible outcome.
Our clients range from international businesses, property companies, trustees and fiduciaries to high net worth individuals and family offices.
We advise clients on all manner of problems including:
- Business disputes
- Property litigation, including enfranchisement claims and construction disputes
- Tax, trusts and contentious trust and probate disputes
- Arts litigation
- Divorce and children issues
- Financial disputes
We seek to resolve disputes in the best way possible, always with an eye to mitigating risk and resolving the issues using the most appropriate route, whether through:
- Alternative dispute resolution – Often alternatives such as mediation or alternative dispute resolution lend themselves to more timely and cost-effective solutions than litigation and we propose these options where appropriate
- Using the courts – We have extensive experience using the courts at all levels – County, High, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court – to advance our clients’ aims and have been involved in resolving a number of high profile, multi-jurisdictional disputes
- Arbitration – We are seeing an increase in the use of arbitration in commercial disputes and have experience of cases being determined by arbitration and parties using the arbitration process to reach settlement
- Preventative steps – By highlighting the preventative steps clients can take at an early stage we can help our clients avoid potentially time-consuming litigation in the future.
We are always willing to consider alternative methods of charging, for example capped fees for distinct parcels of work. We embrace discounted conditional fee agreements and third party funding where appropriate and have experience of running cases very successfully on this basis.
Much of our work is international and we are highly skilled at co-ordinating litigation across several countries at a time. We are a member of TAGLaw, an international legal alliance with members in most jurisdictions around the world.
We also have strong relationships with other leading firms around the world who have expertise in specialist areas. We can select the right overseas lawyer for each separate situation whom we are confident will provide the quality of legal advice, cultural understanding and client service that our clients expect from us.
“They're the only team I would personally go to. They're a broad team of excellent people and I respect every single lawyer”
Chambers HNW 2020
“You would want them on your side ”
Legal 500 2021
In the inaugural episode, Partner, Clare Stirzaker is joined by Dr Justin Craig, a visiting Professor of Family Enterprise at Kellogg Business School. Using Justin’s research on the strategy, function, management, and performance of multi-generational family enterprises and those who lead and steward them, we look at what the term legacy means in today’s world and its connotations, whether the next generation feels hamstrung by the concept of legacy and how business leaders can innovate where a predecessor’s legacy is so dominant.
Read more 3 min read 15 May 2023 Boodle Hatfield expands leading Private Wealth Disputes practice with the hire of Nicola Bushby
Boodle Hatfield has strengthened its Private Client & Tax department with the appointment of new partner, Nicola Bushby. Nicola joins the firm’s top-tier Private Wealth Disputes team from Irwin Mitchell and her arrival consolidates the firm’s reputation as one of the leading practices for high value, complex wealth disputes in the London market.Read more 3 min read 08 Mar 2023 International Women’s Day 2023
To mark IWD 2023, we spoke to a handful of staff and Partners from across the business to reflect on their experiences in the industry and how, together, we can forge an equitable and inclusive world.Read more 3 min read 23 Jan 2023 Boodle Hatfield launches new immigration practice with the arrival of Zoe Jacob
Immigration barrister, Zoe Jacob has joined Boodle Hatfield from Farrer & Co. Her appointment as a Partner establishes a new immigration practice for the firm, further bolstering its stellar Private Wealth and Corporate offering.Read more