“Superb breadth of experience; always a pleasure to work with. Peerless in their field”
Legal 500 2021
Our highly experienced disputes lawyers have an absolute focus on resolving disputes and mitigating risk in the best way for each of our clients.
By getting to the heart of matters as quickly as possible and understanding our clients’ objectives, we are able to achieve the best possible outcome.
Our clients range from international businesses, property companies, trustees and fiduciaries to high net worth individuals and family offices.
We advise clients on all manner of of problems including:
- Business disputes
- Property litigation, including enfranchisement claims and construction disputes
- Tax, Trusts and contentious trust and probate disputes
- Arts litigation
- Divorce and children issues
- Financial disputes
We seek to resolve disputes in the best way possible, always with an eye to mitigating risk and resolving the issues using the most appropriate route, whether through:
- Alternative dispute resolution – Often alternatives such as commercial mediation or alternative dispute resolution lend themselves to more timely and cost-effective solutions than litigation and we propose these options where appropriate
- Using the courts – We have extensive experience using the courts at all levels – County, High, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court – to advance our clients’ aims and have been involved in resolving a number of high profile, multi-jurisdictional disputes
- Preventative steps – by highlighting the preventative steps clients can take at an early stage we can help our clients avoid potentially time-consuming litigation in the future.
We are always willing to consider alternative methods of charging, for example capped fees for distinct parcels of work. We embrace discounted conditional fee agreements and third party funding where appropriate and have experience of running cases very successfully on this basis.
Much of our work is international and we are highly skilled at co-ordinating litigation across several countries at a time. We are a member of TAGLaw, an international legal alliance with members in most jurisdictions around the world.
We also have strong relationships with other leading firms around the world who have expertise in specialist areas. We can select the right overseas lawyer for each separate situation whom we are confident will provide the quality of legal advice, cultural understanding and client service that our clients expect from us.
“They're the only team I would personally go to. They're a broad team of excellent people and I respect every single lawyer”
Chambers HNW 2020
“You would want them on your side ”
Legal 500 2021
In a recent STEP article Private Wealth Partner, Mark Lindley outlines what can be done when a trustee or personal representative makes a mistake and the possible legal remedies.Read more 8 min read 23 Sep 2020 Remote witnessing of Wills—pros and cons from a disputes’ perspective
Private Client analysis: Mark Lindley, partner at Boodle Hatfield, discusses the new rules in the Wills Act 1837Read more 5 min read 19 Mar 2020 Law Firm Disclosure Ruling On Trustee Docs Has Limits
A recent Court of Appeal ruling that a trustee can’t use privilege to withhold documents requested by a beneficiary will have a limited impact due to a 2018 update to the U.K.’s data protection law.Read more 4 min read 21 Oct 2019 Inheritance dispute: Oldest died first
A recent case, Scarle v Scarle  EWHC 2224 (Ch), had to address the operation of the rarely used ‘commorientes’ rule.Read more