“They are efficient, clear-thinking & provide practical solutions”
Legal 500 2021
There is no typical construction project. Each is unique and every client has requirements - and will encounter obstacles - that are also unique. We take our knowledge of construction law and our experience of the current market and apply those skills to create building contracts and professional appointments that provide the optimum balance of risk for our clients.
If you are a developer in the very earliest stages of a project, we will advise on the appropriate procurement route, which contract to choose, building the project team, and formalising those contractual relationships. If you are a building owner looking to sell, we know what purchasers and their lenders will expect from a construction “package”. If the appropriate documents were not put in place during the original build, we can work with you to retrospectively negotiate and agree institutionally acceptable construction documents to facilitate a sale.
We are with our clients at each stage throughout the design and construction of any project, advising on payment and payless notices, dealing with contractual queries and guiding clients through any claims for extensions of time or loss and expense. And of course, if and when differences arise with a contractor or a member of the professional team, we work quickly to resolve them before they become intractable.
- Developers: Acting for a variety of developers, including professional developers, landed estates and ultra-high net worth individuals, on commercial, residential and mixed use schemes, drafting and negotiating building contracts, professional appointments, insurance and security documents, and providing advice on the resolution of disputes.
- Professional Consultants: Advising consultants such as architects, engineers and project managers in relation to the drafting and negotiation of numerous professional appointments, providing advice in relation to claims, disputes and PI coverage.
- Dispute Resolution: Our team has significant experience in High Court litigation relating to construction projects, alternative dispute resolution including mediation, instigating and defending adjudications, and planning appeals.
- Hotel projects: Advising on the refurbishment and development of hotels in the Central London, around the UK, and overseas including a number of well-known brand names.
- High value residential projects: We have particular expertise in supporting international clients entering the London residential property market. Advising on building contracts, professional appointments, collateral warranties and managing the interests of our clients during the construction phase. We also have extensive experience in producing full construction “packages” required by potential funders and purchasers of high value London properties.
- Urban Estates: Advising a number of the most important urban estates in prime central London on a broad range of projects from high value office-to-residential conversions, build to rent, senior living, retail and public realm.
“What sets Boodle Hatfield apart is their understanding of what exactly the client was expecting from them in terms of strategy in managing legal matters. They are strategically very smart and pro-active”
Legal 500 2023
“Their advice is always well grounded and easily understood”
Legal 500 2021
Construction Partner, Sarah Rock considers the lack of clarity on the developer remediation contracts, which has been causing confusion amongst developers looking at obligations involved in addressing the building safety crisis.Read more 6 min read 17 May 2023 How to create a complaints procedure in an interior design practice
Construction Associate, Oliver Johnson writes for the British Institute of Interior Design (BIID) on why a complaints procedure is highly recommended for every interior design practice.Read more 2 min read 21 Mar 2023 Boodle Hatfield Property Insights – March edition
In our Property Insights newsletter, the Real Estate team shine a spotlight on new legal developments and offer some insights on issues that are currently shaping the property market.Read more 3 min read 08 Mar 2023 International Women’s Day 2023
To mark IWD 2023, we spoke to a handful of staff and Partners from across the business to reflect on their experiences in the industry and how, together, we can forge an equitable and inclusive world.Read more