Tax & Advisory
“They're a heavyweight private client firm”
Chambers HNW 2021
We provide practical, commercial advice for wealthy international and UK individuals, family businesses, partnerships, trusts and landed estates on all aspects of UK tax.
We have a strong tradition of working for families with multi-generational wealth in multiple jurisdictions and have particular expertise in integrating the tax requirements of clients’ business lives into their overall planning strategies.
Our expertise includes advising on:
- the UK’s statutory residence test
- remittance basis of taxation and preparing to move to the UK
- business investment relief and bringing funds to the UK as a non-UK domiciled individual
- the treatment of UK and overseas trusts, including the implications of a settlor or beneficiary moving to the UK and establishing “excluded property” trusts
- establishing structures to hold personal and business assets, both in the UK and overseas, including trusts, partnerships and companies
- business property relief and agricultural property relief in relation to inheritance tax
- investors’ relief and business asset disposal relief in relation to capital gains tax
- the taxation of UK companies
- the acquisition, holding or “de-enveloping” of UK residential and commercial property.
How we help
- In-depth tax knowledge – We advise on all aspects of income, capital gains and inheritance tax, as well as VAT, corporation tax and SDLT
- Providing coordinated advice – We work alongside our corporate and real estate teams as well as leading tax advisors in other jurisdictions to provide coordinated advice on our clients’ asset holding structures and estate plans in the UK and overseas
- UK real estate – We regularly advise both UK and non-UK resident individuals and corporates on the UK tax implications of acquiring, holding or disposing of UK residential and commercial real estate
- Personal estate planning – We draft wills for clients and assist them with their estate planning more generally, including working with their advisors in other jurisdictions in relation to the passing of wealth to the next generation in a tax efficient manner
- Corporate transactions – We advise clients on the tax considerations of commercial transactions, whether it is mergers & acquisitions, management buyouts, property acquisitions or business reorganisations
- Asset holding structures – We provide clear advice in relation to the structuring options available to individuals, trustees, funds, companies, landed estates and family businesses, in the UK and internationally
“They are a very creative team that work well together”
Chambers HNW 2021
“Its expertise spans cross-border and multi-disciplinary tax, trusts structuring and succession planning work on behalf of high-net-worth clients and family businesses”
Legal 500 2020
Corporate and Commercial Partner, Rahul Thakrar is welcomed on to the ‘Herrick Does That’ podcast for an international conversation on Capital Investment in Hospitality in a Post-Covid World.Read more 4 min read 07 Jun 2022 Sharp increase in businesses transferring ownership to employees – 200% rise in the past two years
Senior Associate, Charlie Hewlett and Associate Hugo Brown highlight the threefold increase in the number of businesses transferring ownership to employees through Employee Ownership Trusts, showing how owners are increasingly waking up to the advantages of the model.Read more 4 min read 13 May 2022 Lifecycle of a digital asset: What else can be tokenised?
Alexander Martinelli and Hugo Brown consider the lifecycle of a digital asset and explore what else can be tokenised.Read more 5 min read 13 May 2022 Lifecycle of a digital asset: Getting started with NFTs
Remarkably, around one fifth of the UK population now own at least some form of ‘crypto’, be that an NFT or cryptocurrency. In this series of insights, Alexander Martinelli and Hugo Brown touch briefly on the steps involved in creating and transferring NFTs before exploring in more depth some potential use cases for Blockchain technology.