Tax & Advisory
“They get to the point and they cut through the detail to the issues. Their advice is very sound.”
Chambers HNW 2019
We provide practical, commercial advice for wealthy international and UK individuals, family businesses, partnerships, trusts and landed estates on all aspects of UK tax.
We have a strong tradition of working for families with multi-generational wealth in multiple jurisdictions and have particular expertise in integrating the tax requirements of clients’ business lives into their overall planning strategies.
Our expertise includes advising on:
- the UK’s statutory residence test
- remittance basis of taxation and preparing to move to the UK
- business investment relief and bringing funds to the UK as a non-UK domiciled individual
- the treatment of UK and overseas trusts, including the implications of a settlor or beneficiary moving to the UK and establishing “excluded property” trusts
- establishing structures to hold personal and business assets, both in the UK and overseas, including trusts, partnerships and companies
- business property relief and agricultural property relief in relation to inheritance tax
- investors’ relief and business asset disposal relief in relation to capital gains tax
- the taxation of UK companies
- the acquisition, holding or “de-enveloping” of UK residential and commercial property.
How we help
- In-depth tax knowledge – We advise on all aspects of income, capital gains and inheritance tax, as well as VAT, corporation tax and SDLT
- Providing coordinated advice – We work alongside our corporate and real estate teams as well as leading tax advisors in other jurisdictions to provide coordinated advice on our clients’ asset holding structures and estate plans in the UK and overseas
- UK real estate – We regularly advise both UK and non-UK resident individuals and corporates on the UK tax implications of acquiring, holding or disposing of UK residential and commercial real estate
- Personal estate planning – We draft wills for clients and assist them with their estate planning more generally, including working with their advisors in other jurisdictions in relation to the passing of wealth to the next generation in a tax efficient manner
- Corporate transactions – We advise clients on the tax considerations of commercial transactions, whether it is mergers & acquisitions, management buyouts, property acquisitions or business reorganisations
- Asset holding structures – We provide clear advice in relation to the structuring options available to individuals, trustees, funds, companies, landed estates and family businesses, in the UK and internationally
“Its expertise spans cross-border and multi-disciplinary tax, trusts structuring and succession planning work on behalf of high-net-worth clients and family businesses”
Legal 500 2020
“A well-known private client firm with a great reputation”
Chambers HNW 2018
The Family Business report looks in greater depth at Britain’s Top 100 family businesses, looking at who they are, and how they are built. We reflect on how Britain can ensure these entities remain strong contributors to economic growth as we look ahead, following the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.Read more 5 min read 22 Mar 2021 Exits: six things you need to think about
Charlie Hewlett and Hugo Brown of Boodle Hatfield and James Heath of PwC Raise | Ventures highlight six points that are often overlooked or not given enough consideration prior to an exit.Read more 6 min read 08 Mar 2021 International Women’s Day 2021
Boodle Hatfield is delighted to celebrate International Women’s Day. As a firm, we are fully committed to maintaining a working environment in which all people can excel and have a philosophy of an inclusive and supportive culture to enable this.
Read more 5 min read 04 Mar 2021 UK Listings Rules: How do you catch a unicorn?
The UK listing rules are currently in the spotlight, with the Government keen to make London a more attractive place for listings.Read more