Tax & Advisory
“They're a heavyweight private client firm”
Chambers HNW 2021
We provide practical, commercial advice for wealthy international and UK individuals, family businesses, partnerships, trusts and landed estates on all aspects of UK tax.
We have a strong tradition of working for families with multi-generational wealth in multiple jurisdictions and have particular expertise in integrating the tax requirements of clients’ business lives into their overall planning strategies.
Our expertise includes advising on:
- the UK’s statutory residence test
- remittance basis of taxation and preparing to move to the UK
- business investment relief and bringing funds to the UK as a non-UK domiciled individual
- the treatment of UK and overseas trusts, including the implications of a settlor or beneficiary moving to the UK and establishing “excluded property” trusts
- establishing structures to hold personal and business assets, both in the UK and overseas, including trusts, partnerships and companies
- business property relief and agricultural property relief in relation to inheritance tax
- investors’ relief and business asset disposal relief in relation to capital gains tax
- the taxation of UK companies
- the acquisition, holding or “de-enveloping” of UK residential and commercial property.
How we help
- In-depth tax knowledge – We advise on all aspects of income, capital gains and inheritance tax, as well as VAT, corporation tax and SDLT
- Providing coordinated advice – We work alongside our corporate and real estate teams as well as leading tax advisors in other jurisdictions to provide coordinated advice on our clients’ asset holding structures and estate plans in the UK and overseas
- UK real estate – We regularly advise both UK and non-UK resident individuals and corporates on the UK tax implications of acquiring, holding or disposing of UK residential and commercial real estate
- Personal estate planning – We draft wills for clients and assist them with their estate planning more generally, including working with their advisors in other jurisdictions in relation to the passing of wealth to the next generation in a tax efficient manner
- Corporate transactions – We advise clients on the tax considerations of commercial transactions, whether it is mergers & acquisitions, management buyouts, property acquisitions or business reorganisations
- Asset holding structures – We provide clear advice in relation to the structuring options available to individuals, trustees, funds, companies, landed estates and family businesses, in the UK and internationally
“They are a very creative team that work well together”
Chambers HNW 2021
“Its expertise spans cross-border and multi-disciplinary tax, trusts structuring and succession planning work on behalf of high-net-worth clients and family businesses”
Legal 500 2020
This summer, Boodle Hatfield are thrilled to be supporting the Tusk Trust for The Tusk Lion Trail 2021- a global celebration of African lions and the people who live alongside them through exceptional art.Read more 3 min read 27 Jul 2021 The Tusk Lion Trail 2021
Boodle Hatfield is thrilled to be supporting the Tusk Trust – a British non-profit organisation set up in 1990 to advance wildlife conservation across Africa, in their 2021 Lion Trail.Read more 4 min read 15 Jul 2021 Six things to consider before lending money to friends and family
Corporate Associate, Hilary Wilkinson, looks at the things to consider when lending money to friends and family.Read more 3 min read 01 Jul 2021 Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) – what are the legal issues?
Fred Clark and Satjivan Aujla, Associates at Boodle Hatfield LLP and Emily Gould, Senior Researcher at the Institute of Art and Law, set out the main legal considerations relevant to NFTs, including copyright, SMART contracts, money laundering, estate and succession planning and taxation.Read more