“Offer huge efficiency, insight and value”
Legal 500 2020
Tax is a primary consideration when contemplating commercial transactions, whether it is mergers & acquisitions, management buyouts, property acquisitions or business reorganisations.
We recognise that commerciality is key for clients, and are known for delivering jargon-free bespoke advice targeted to each client’s needs.
Our clients come from a wide range of sectors including financial services, hotels, investment management, retail and real estate development. We act for a large number of substantial family businesses, giving integrated advice to all the stakeholders and for high-net-worth individuals and international families structuring their investments into the UK.
We have broad experience in establishing funds and advising on complex tax issues that may arise, often with an international aspect.
We advise on tax issues when buying or selling real estate, and on landlord and tenant issues, including VAT, capital gains tax, corporation tax, stamp duty land tax, capital allowances, and the construction industry scheme. We also advise on the tax efficient structuring of property ownership and sales.
We advise clients on hiving off group companies, splitting businesses into divisions, and putting in place holding companies. We also advise on taxes, from stamp taxes to corporate tax, and the personal tax position of the individuals that own and manage the business.
We advise on all aspects of remuneration and share-based incentives for employees and directors. We also advise internationally mobile individuals and their employers on structuring salaries and benefits from a UK tax perspective.
- Advising a set of offshore trustees on a buyback of shares in a UK company and achieving a significant saving of tax through a restructuring of their holding.
- Advising a family business on a business reorganisation involving the creation of new shares which can be freely transferred without immediate tax cost.
- Advising a family business group on a division of the disparate businesses into a trading and non-trading group which could then be partitioned between the family.
- Advising a UK group on the rationalisation of a basket of loans without adverse tax charges arising.
- Advising on the demerger of a trading enterprise from an investment trading group without tax cost, clearing the matter with HMRC and ensuring that growth of value is eligible for business reliefs.
“Commerciality is strong and they fully appreciate the commercial context in which they are working ”
Chambers UK 2017
“We trust the team to the full and feel very well represented”
Chambers UK 2017
Corporate and Commercial Partner, Rahul Thakrar is welcomed on to the ‘Herrick Does That’ podcast for an international conversation on Capital Investment in Hospitality in a Post-Covid World.Read more 4 min read 07 Jun 2022 Sharp increase in businesses transferring ownership to employees – 200% rise in the past two years
Senior Associate, Charlie Hewlett and Associate Hugo Brown highlight the threefold increase in the number of businesses transferring ownership to employees through Employee Ownership Trusts, showing how owners are increasingly waking up to the advantages of the model.Read more 4 min read 13 May 2022 Lifecycle of a digital asset: What else can be tokenised?
Alexander Martinelli and Hugo Brown consider the lifecycle of a digital asset and explore what else can be tokenised.Read more 5 min read 13 May 2022 Lifecycle of a digital asset: Getting started with NFTs
Remarkably, around one fifth of the UK population now own at least some form of ‘crypto’, be that an NFT or cryptocurrency. In this series of insights, Alexander Martinelli and Hugo Brown touch briefly on the steps involved in creating and transferring NFTs before exploring in more depth some potential use cases for Blockchain technology.