“Offer huge efficiency, insight and value”
Legal 500 2020
Tax is a primary consideration when contemplating commercial transactions, whether it is mergers & acquisitions, management buyouts, property acquisitions or business reorganisations.
We recognise that commerciality is key for clients, and are known for delivering jargon-free bespoke advice targeted to each client’s needs.
Our clients come from a wide range of sectors including financial services, hotels, investment management, retail and real estate development. We act for a large number of substantial family businesses, giving integrated advice to all the stakeholders and for high-net-worth individuals and international families structuring their investments into the UK.
We have broad experience in establishing funds and advising on complex tax issues that may arise, often with an international aspect.
We advise on tax issues when buying or selling real estate, and on landlord and tenant issues, including VAT, capital gains tax, corporation tax, stamp duty land tax, capital allowances, and the construction industry scheme. We also advise on the tax efficient structuring of property ownership and sales.
We advise clients on hiving off group companies, splitting businesses into divisions, and putting in place holding companies. We also advise on taxes, from stamp taxes to corporate tax, and the personal tax position of the individuals that own and manage the business.
We advise on all aspects of remuneration and share-based incentives for employees and directors. We also advise internationally mobile individuals and their employers on structuring salaries and benefits from a UK tax perspective.
- Advising a set of offshore trustees on a buyback of shares in a UK company and achieving a significant saving of tax through a restructuring of their holding.
- Advising a family business on a business reorganisation involving the creation of new shares which can be freely transferred without immediate tax cost.
- Advising a family business group on a division of the disparate businesses into a trading and non-trading group which could then be partitioned between the family.
- Advising a UK group on the rationalisation of a basket of loans without adverse tax charges arising.
- Advising on the demerger of a trading enterprise from an investment trading group without tax cost, clearing the matter with HMRC and ensuring that growth of value is eligible for business reliefs.
“Commerciality is strong and they fully appreciate the commercial context in which they are working ”
Chambers UK 2017
“We trust the team to the full and feel very well represented”
Chambers UK 2017
The big question on many minds is ‘How will the government pay for COVID-19?’Read more 5 min read 04 Jan 2021 Becoming a B Corp – the legal implications
B Corporations (“B Corps”) are businesses that “meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose”.Read more 6 min read 14 Dec 2020 Entrepreneurs – 6 things to know about your first funding round
For many entrepreneurs completing their first round of funding is a well earned validation of the time and energy they have to put into their venture. Here are six things entrepreneurs should bear in mind.Read more 5 min read 12 Nov 2020 How do I start a business: Phase 1 – The Set Up
It is said that there are two barriers to entrepreneurship. The first is that many never actually do it. They discuss an idea…Read more