“Offer huge efficiency, insight and value”
Legal 500 2020
Tax is a primary consideration when contemplating commercial transactions, whether it is mergers & acquisitions, management buyouts, property acquisitions or business reorganisations.
We recognise that commerciality is key for clients, and are known for delivering jargon-free bespoke advice targeted to each client’s needs.
Our clients come from a wide range of sectors including financial services, hotels, investment management, retail and real estate development. We act for a large number of substantial family businesses, giving integrated advice to all the stakeholders and for high-net-worth individuals and international families structuring their investments into the UK.
We have broad experience in establishing funds and advising on complex tax issues that may arise, often with an international aspect.
We advise on tax issues when buying or selling real estate, and on landlord and tenant issues, including VAT, capital gains tax, corporation tax, stamp duty land tax, capital allowances, and the construction industry scheme. We also advise on the tax efficient structuring of property ownership and sales.
We advise clients on hiving off group companies, splitting businesses into divisions, and putting in place holding companies. We also advise on taxes, from stamp taxes to corporate tax, and the personal tax position of the individuals that own and manage the business.
We advise on all aspects of remuneration and share-based incentives for employees and directors. We also advise internationally mobile individuals and their employers on structuring salaries and benefits from a UK tax perspective.
- Advising a set of offshore trustees on a buyback of shares in a UK company and achieving a significant saving of tax through a restructuring of their holding.
- Advising a family business on a business reorganisation involving the creation of new shares which can be freely transferred without immediate tax cost.
- Advising a family business group on a division of the disparate businesses into a trading and non-trading group which could then be partitioned between the family.
- Advising a UK group on the rationalisation of a basket of loans without adverse tax charges arising.
- Advising on the demerger of a trading enterprise from an investment trading group without tax cost, clearing the matter with HMRC and ensuring that growth of value is eligible for business reliefs.
“Commerciality is strong and they fully appreciate the commercial context in which they are working ”
Chambers UK 2017
“We trust the team to the full and feel very well represented”
Chambers UK 2017
In CityAM, Private Wealth Partner, Kyra Motley highlights how female business owners make up an increasingly important part of the British economy and how new figures show that the value of the businesses that they are founding is growing dramatically.Read more 3 min read 05 Nov 2021 Boodle Hatfield acts on the sale of a prime Central London development site with a development value in excess of £1 billion
Boodle Hatfield LLP have advised on the sale of 18 Blackfriars Road, a development site in a prime Central London location which has planning consent for a mixed-use scheme with an estimated gross development value of in excess of £1 billion.Read more 4 min read 29 Oct 2021 The Autumn Budget: Residential Property Developer Tax (RPDT)
A key announcement in the Autumn Budget speech was the confirmation that the new Residential Property Developer Tax (RPDT) will apply at a rate of 4% to affected companies.Read more 4 min read 15 Jul 2021 Six things to consider before lending money to friends and family
Corporate Associate, Hilary Wilkinson, looks at the things to consider when lending money to friends and family.Read more