Real Estate Development
“They are efficient, clear-thinking & provide practical solutions to problems. ”
Legal 500 2021
Our development expertise stretches back to the firm's foundation, and we have been involved in the development of much of the West End from the outset.
We thus have significant historic expertise on the regeneration of densely built urban environments within Central London and other city centres, but have also acted on schemes the length and breadth of the country.
We advise on office, retail, hotel, residential and, increasingly, mixed-use developments, but also across many other sectors, including industrial and logistics, the promotion of greenfield sites for residential development, student accommodation, private rental, senior living schemes and data centres.
We work with our tax and corporate teams on joint ventures and other co-investment structures to ensure assets are acquired and structured tax- efficiently, and with a view to long-term liquidity on sale or letting.
We have a deep understanding of our clients’ business plans and tailor our advice accordingly, whether they are looking to develop and then exit quickly, or to hold onto the asset for the long term.
- The acquisition, redevelopment, reletting and sale by corporate disposal of 8 Fenchurch Place in the City for PMB Holdings and AREA
- The acquisition and redevelopment of Harcourt House, London W1, a mixed residential and commercial scheme on behalf of a private investor
- The exchange of a master development and promotion agreement for a new town in the East of England
- Purchase of a 1960s office block in London under immense time pressures in which we had only two working days to carry out full due diligence (including tenancy documents in respect of seven different tenants), negotiate terms and exchange for a client seeking to redevelop the site
- Purchase as a joint venture of a landmark London building as a medium term asset management and potential redevelopment play
- Advising on a long-term site assembly project for a potential residential scheme in Woolwich
- Acting on the purchase of an office park in Aylesbury with the benefit of planning permission for conversion to 146 units (with part of the residential conversion already having commenced) and the subsequent negotiation of a deferral of completion by six months as a result of COVID-19 uncertainty
- Advising on a £1 billion Liverpool city centre redevelopment which included the pre-letting of a cinema, two anchor stores, three separate car parks, and over 150 retail and leisure units. The scheme also included 600 residential apartments, two hotels and a five acre public park.
“Their advice is always well grounded and easily understood”
Legal 500 2021
“The lawyers work well together across disciplines and go more than the extra mile”
Chambers UK 2020
In the Financial Times, Associate, David Rawlence reflects on how Coronavirus has shaken up the commercial property landscape, resulting in substantial quantities of office space being put out of use, which has been particularly evident in smaller cities and outer London suburbs.Read more 8 min read 12 Nov 2021 What do the Government proposals for the new arbitration scheme to deal with rent arrears that accrued during the COVID-19 pandemic mean for landlords and tenants?
On 9 November 2021, the Government presented the Commercial Rent (Coronavirus) Bill to Parliament providing the detail of the proposed arbitration scheme to deal with rent arrears that accrued during the COVID-19 pandemic. Whilst this is subject to change before it becomes law, it contains significant proposals that will affect both landlords and tenants. The Government also published a new Code of practice for commercial property relationships.Read more 3 min read 05 Nov 2021 Boodle Hatfield acts on the sale of a prime Central London development site with a development value in excess of £1 billion
Boodle Hatfield LLP have advised on the sale of 18 Blackfriars Road, a development site in a prime Central London location which has planning consent for a mixed-use scheme with an estimated gross development value of in excess of £1 billion.Read more 4 min read 29 Oct 2021 The Autumn Budget: Residential Property Developer Tax (RPDT)
A key announcement in the Autumn Budget speech was the confirmation that the new Residential Property Developer Tax (RPDT) will apply at a rate of 4% to affected companies.Read more