“Very practical, realistic and pragmatic advice with clear commercial reality”
Legal 500 2021
Few people enjoy litigation, however, disputes cannot always be avoided. If our clients’ property rights need enforcing we are there to do so, and we have taken cases all the way to the highest court in the land if necessary.
Often the key is to look beyond the obvious immediate point of dispute and to assess where a client’s long term strategic interests lie.
Much of the skill in this area of law is about getting the right result without having to go to court. Whether we are advising a major urban estate or a retail or residential occupier we are here to guide our clients in all the ways in which their property interests may be challenged. When litigation is required, it will be hard fought.
Equally, however, the right case can be solved by mediation or direct negotiation. If we are consulted early enough, court proceedings can often be avoided. A big part of what we do is working strategically with the other teams in real estate to spot the issues early on, tackle them and find a way to achieve our clients’ long term aims. The right result at the right time.
Our clients include large urban estates, commercial, mixed use and residential property developers, occupiers, retailers, hotel owners, charities and high net worth individuals. Advising commercial and residential landlords and tenants means that we understand the drivers and concerns of each group. We bring that experience and knowledge to finding the best solution for each client.
How we help
- Lease renewals – We have a deep understanding of the issues surrounding opposed and unopposed business lease renewal claims for both landlord and tenant clients, with particular emphasis on freeing up sites for development
- Landlord and tenant – We act to protect the interests of commercial landlord or tenant clients in disputes including breach of covenant, dilapidations, rent reviews and service charge disputes
- Construction disputes – When things go wrong we work with our clients on all types of construction disputes. We provide realistic and practical advice for resolving the problem and achieving the best possible results. We can resolve complex issues through arbitration, adjudication, mediation and the courts
- Leasehold enfranchisement – We have an established reputation in leasehold enfranchisement and reform, particularly in relation to issues of principle, having been involved in some of the key precedent cases on what properties are capable of being enfranchised
- Residential tenancy disputes – We act to secure positive results for landlord and tenant clients in high value tenancy disputes, including Rent Act and Housing Act matters
- Joint Venture disputes – When things go wrong and parties fall out, we can advise on the exit strategy to bring the JV to an end without recourse to proceedings. Where that is not possible, we can represent clients in mediation, expert determination or ultimately court proceedings to terminate the agreement and protect our client’s interests.
With 300 years of advising property clients, our team has the range and depth of experience to understand your needs and objectives and guide you to a successful outcome.
“They’re really on the ball, and great at giving sensible, practical advice to clients in a form which enables them to understand the implications of their decisions properly”
Legal 500 2021
“They have a strong dispute resolution team across the board”
Chambers UK 2020
Boodle Hatfield’s ‘highly respected’ ‘standout’ Private Wealth team have been elevated to tier one in the ‘Personal Tax, Trusts and Probate’ category of the 2023 guide. The firm is also delighted to report that as well as being uplifted, it has retained its top tier status in six other categories, affirming its position as one of London’s leading law firms.Read more 3 min read 03 May 2022 The Lawyer Awards 2022 shortlist Boodle Hatfield in the ‘Law Firm of the Year: The Independents’ category
Boodle Hatfields’ industry-leading expertise has been recognised in The Lawyers’ prestigious awards that celebrates excellence across the legal industry.Read more 9 min read 11 Mar 2022 Commercial Rent (Coronavirus) Bill – How helpful is the recently published guidance?
Litigation Partner Kellie Jones and Associate Curtis Payn provide an update on the guidance to the Commercial Rent (Coronavirus) Bill.Read more 2 min read 08 Mar 2022 International Women’s Day 2022
Boodle Hatfield are delighted to celebrate the success of women at all levels on International Women’s Day. A handful of females around the firm to share their experiences in the industry.Read more